Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Good times, busy, busy....

I am alive!! Back to school. Wow. I think they should call it "back to life on the roller coaster" or "welcome to the end of freedom for 9 months" instead! Things have been crazy busy around our house the last month.

Here was my oldest's 6th birthday party. I usually go all out and plan some elaborate out of control thing at our house. This year I took the easy way out. Pay the price, save the headache and let someone else do the cleaning up. We had a quiet little family party and a big putt-putt, laser tag, go kart extravaganza.

The quiet family...

Putt -Putt
First day of first grade.



Next, there was my cousin's wedding. What fun that was! It was a western theme wedding and it was so great to be with all of our family in such a picturesque setting. Good times. Lots of pics.

All my boys.My daughter dancing with my grandaddy (her great-granddad). Pretty cool and let me tell you...he can dance like there is no tomorrow. Very cool.

Then, the next weekend one my nearest and dearest friends in the world from college...a dear soul sister to me..flew into town for a baby shower. It was so great to see Laurie. She looks great and I know she will be a great mommy. So fun to see her- even for a short while. And for those of you out there wondering...yes I left with incredible baby fever. Luckily, before I could take action on that emotional surge another dear friend of a 4 week old called to ask "will he ever sleep through the night? I am SO exhausted." Baby fever gone. Like my sleep. Even gave my maternity clothes to a friend this month although she continues to threaten she will return them for number 4. Um...no thanks...all this exercise will not be wasted!!
She will kill me for the next one....
It's a boy!

In between those highlights...we have 2 kids back in fall soccer. I am also the coach of my daughter's team- the Wildflowers. For those who knew me when I was a soccer stud, well, I am reliving my life through my children. HA! Actually, I was invited to join an adult league this fall, but felt that might be overtending myself since it happen to occur on the ONLY free night we have. See, I can say "no" sometimes. (Okay...so I said "maybe I can squeeze it in in the spring.....") Between practice for the 2 of them and Sat. am games, we are quickly realizing what the next 18 years will be like with sports and activities....NUTS!!! Exciting and FUN, but NUTS. We also have tumbling in the mix for my daughter and my oldest son wanted to join cubscouts, but we had to miss that meeting - I was at another meeting. (Did I mention I am volunteering to help with Special Olympics?) We will probably still sign up. I think cubscouts could be a great father-son activity :)

Then there is work. My role has changed this year and it's taken some adjustment to only being at 2 schools instead of supervising at 5. It's a good change, but it's been a bit of an adjustment. It is so great to have all CCC'd people (mastered people in common language). It is so rewarding to be working directly with kids again, but a bit daunting to tackle all those things I didn't have to deal with for the past few years. I also received a new title this week. I am officially the "Lead Speech Language Pathologist" for our district. For those of you who know me well, I LOVE to overachieve so this is right up my ally. Unfortunately, the only benefits it includes is a new name badge with my new title on it and free cokes when I go to the district admin. building. Wow. I know you are all jealous of that one. I really am excited though. I have worked hard at my job for the last few years and it's nice to be aknowledged. A little power never hurts a girl, right? joking....joking...

And the last 2 are just because my little one continues to make me smile everyday. He is truly the HAPPIEST child alive. Even his babysitter agrees so it must be true!! He loves to give hugs now and pats my shoulder. He has learned "Let's go" means "sprint to our vehicle as quickly as possible" and it is adorable to watch him run. He still doesn't talk much- no need for that with all of us to cater to his "uhh's" pointing and grunting. I have taught him about 5 signs and he has maybe 10 words. NO worries though...his mom can fix him later....:) again....joking....And yes....I know you can't talk with a pacifier in your mouth 10 out of 12 hours a day.

Nothing like hiding in a box with your lambie to keep you company....move over baby...mommy needs a break too....

4 comments:

Jacinda said...

I love that you have a blog now so I can start to catch up on your life! Laurie.....I think I remember her....what was her last name....was she from Colorado...in club with us?

Seriously, one of the saddest things to me is that there are so many people from ACU that I "think" I remember! Good grief! You'd think I was getting old or something!

BTW.....I totally remember you! LOL

Malia said...

You look exactly like I remember you! Beautiful!

:)

BrenOaks said...

Jacinda- yes Laurie bleeds yellow and white too. Her maiden name was Terlisner and she was from Minnesota. And I know exactly what you mean - I hear names and know I know them...but no picture comes to mind.

Thanks Malia- you are so sweet!

Crissy said...

I'm so glad you are back! Wondering where you have been ... :)